Thursday, May 24, 2007

Laundry List

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Thanks to No Impact Man and Crunchy Chicken, I no longer use my dryer. During the day, this rack goes out on the porch (in the shade to prevent fading). I bring it in at dinnertime, fold the clothes sometime in the evening, then put another load on it. I'm liking it more than I thought I would. The clothes look pressed, smell good, and the pace is more leisurely than when I used my dryer. I was a slave to my dryer because I always wanted to fold the clothes while they were hot (before they wrinkled).

Logan saw my drying rack and said, "Is this because of saving the environment?"

"Yeah," I said.

"I really respect you for that," he said. I shot a look at him, a quick sarcasm scan. He saw me.

"Seriously," he said. "That is really cool."

But nothing I do is enough for No Impact Man. Today he is talking about bees. Specifically, the lack of bees. The dearth of bees. The Great Bee Die-Off of 2007.

Now, maybe you think the die-off of stinging little buzz factories might not be such a bad thing. But anyone who likes to eat should think again. Without these little pollinators there will be no crops. No apples. No pears. No...other things bees pollinate. So No Impact Man is proposing that more people become bee keepers. And here's the punch line: I'm thinking about it!

At the bookstore tonight, killing time between dropping Luke off for Driver's Ed and going to Logan's band concert, I perused books about...beekeeping. But remembering that buying things made of trees is bad for the environment, I decided I should check out my library's selection of bee books. Luckily, it was closed by the time the band concert ended.

Maybe this will pass before I ever make it to the library. But if not, Tim, this is your heads up. Honey, we're gonna be bee-keepers!

3 comments:

MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

That laundry rack is large enough to hold everything in a load?

And didn't you suggest I write about laundry because all the sex talk was too much?!?!? Look what you've done! LOL

Piddler said...

It holds most of a load. The socks and undies from this load are in laundry basket next to rack.

Sometimes in a load of darks, I hang the jeans and shorts on the deck railing and save the rack for the t-shirts.

Slackermommy said...

Thanks for your comment on my latest post. You rock! I just recently read about the bees dying. I had no idea how important they are or that bee farming was a booming business here in Missouri. I had a bee hive in our backyard a couple years ago that I wanted removed. The exterminators were unable to do so because it was in such a high tree. I would feel so guilty now if I had had it removed.